Phillips is the author of articles on a variety of topics in classical Latin literature, but her research is now mostly focused on Erasmus as a student of the New Testament. She is a collaborator with the Collected Works of Erasmus project of the University of Toronto Press. Her first volume, the translation and annotation of CWE 46, The Paraphrase on the Gospel of John, appeared in 1991; CWE 48, The Paraphrase of Luke, Chapters 11-24, was published in 2003. In 2005 CWE 72, Controversies with Edward Lee, appeared under her editorship. CWE 47, The Paraphrase on Luke, Chapters 1-10, should appear in 2013. For fifteen years, ending in 2007, she edited the Erasmus of Rotterdam Society Yearbook, the journal of an independent international learned society dedicated to the humanist who preferred to spend money on books rather than food and clothing.
Latin Literature, Renaissance Studies, Erasmus
- Millersville (PA) State College 1961-65 B.A.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1965-69 Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1969-71
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Ohio State University Summer 1970
- Adjunct instructor, Dickinson College 1971-72
- Adjunct instructor, Franklin and Marshall College 1971-72
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Franklin and Marshall College 1972-73
- Assistant Professor, University of Kentucky 1973-78
- Associate Professor, University of Kentucky 1978-92
- Professor, University of Kentucky 1992-
- Core faculty, Governor's Academy for Teachers of Foreign Languages, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Summer 1989
- Visiting Associate Professor, University of Toronto 1990-91