Ph.D., Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of Virginia, January 1993
Dissertation title “The Voice-Aspect Relationship of Russian Verbs: A Case Study of Reversible Action and Phasal Verbs”
M.A., Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of Virginia, May 1986
B.A., Russian, English and German, James Madison University, summa cum laude, May 1984
Ph.D., Slavic Languages and Literatures, major in Slavic Linguistics, minor in Slavic Folklore, University of Virginia
- Russian Folk Religious Imagination, an online multimedia critical edition
- Shughni language documentation project
Areas of interest:
- Russian, Siberian, Central Asian folk religion
- Urban Russian life-cycle and yearly-cycle rituals
- Russian verbal semantics
- Cognitive linguistics
Courses taught (at UK and previously):
- Russian Folklore
- Introduction to Folklore
- Russian Language
- Sociolinguistics of the Former Soviet Union
- Language and Culture
- Semantics and Pragmatics
- Cognitive Linguistics
- Village Values: Negotiating Identity, Gender and Resistance in Contemporary Urban Russian Life-Cycle Rituals, Bloomington: Slavica, 2008.
- Russian Religious Folk Imagination (www.rch.uky.edu/RFRI/), web-based critical edition of Russian legends, song, rituals, icons in collaboration with Tatiana Filosofova (St. Andrews) and Yelena Minyonok (Institute of World Literature)
- "Злі/добрі чужинці: євреїта цигани у слов’янських народних легендах,” Сучасна зарубіжна етнологія. Антологія. Том2. (“The (Un)Clean Other: Jews and Roma in Russian Folk Legends”), 2010, 409-415.
- "Folk Characteristics of Contemporary Russian Life Cycle Rituals,” American Proceedings of the International Conference of Slavists in Ohrid, Macedonia, 2008-09, 187-202.
- "The Contemporary Urban Russian Funeral: Folk Tradition and Innovation," Folklorica XII, (2007): 109-128.
- "Folk Dance” and “Folk Costume," articles co-authored with Yelena Minyonok, Encyclopedia of Russian Culture, (2006): 214-215.
- "Игра в современной городской русской свадьбе" [Play in the Contemporary Urban Russian Wedding]," in the volume Traditsionnaia kul’tura. Poiski. Interpretatsii. Materialy, (2006): 71-80.
- "Russian Birth Customs: Ancient Traditions in Modern Guise," Slavic and East European Journal 47:2, 227-250, 2003.
- "Victory Day Celebrations: Memory and Validation," Folklorica VIII:2, 24-34, Fall 2003.
- "Не посылай меня на чужую сторону. Траурные аспекы свадьбы северной России 19ого века глазами американского исследователя [Do Not Send me to a Strange Land. Funerary Aspects of the 19th Century Northern Russian Wedding Through the Eyes of an American Researcher]," Sibirskii filologicheskii zhurnal, No. 2: 13-23, 2003.