Ph.D., University of Virginia; B.A. Wesleyan University
Areas of Specialty:
- nineteenth-century British literature and culture
- gift theory; literature and economics
- gender and sexuality
- Victorian poetry, science fiction, literary annuals
- UK Women's Executive Leadership Development Program, 2022
- UK Chairs' Academy I, 2022
- College of A&S Certificate for Outstanding Graduate Mentoring, 2018-19
- EGSO Outstanding Facultuy Award, 2019
- William S. Ward Award for Distinguished Achievement, 2019
- Faculty Mentor, Inclusive Pedagogies Graduate Student Learning Community, 2018-19
- College of A&S Inclusion Fellow, 2018-19
- Imagining Women's Property in Victorian Fiction (Oxford University Press, 2023)
- Giving Women: Alliance and Exchange in Victorian Culture (Oxford U. P., 2012; paperback Jan. 2014)
- Economic Women: Essays on Desire and Dispossession in Nineteenth-Century British Culture, co-edited with Dr. Lana Dalley (The Ohio State U.P., 2013)
- "'Clutch[ing] Gold': Wives, Mothers, and Property Law in The Ring and the Book." Victorian Poetry 60:1 (Spring 2022): 1-26.
- "Greed, Generosity, and Other Problems with Unmarried Women's Property." Victorian Studies 58:4 (Summer 2016): 636-660.
- "Friendship and Intimacy: Competition, Common Interest, and the 'Aspect of Relationship' in Gaskell's Wives and Daughters." Palgrave History of British Women's Writing: Volume 6, 1830-1880. Ed. Lucy Hartley. (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018): 303-19.
- "Economics, the Market, and Victorian Culture." Victorian Literature: Criticism and Debates. Ed. Lee Behlman and Anne Longmuir. London: Routledge, 2016: 393-401.
- "Wives and Sons: Coverture, Primogeniture, and Married Women's Property." BRANCH: Britain, Representation, and Nineteenth-Century History. Ed. Dino Franco Felluga. Extension of Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net. Web.
- Jane’s Inheritance.” Victorians Institute Journal Digital Annex 38 (2010).
- “The Price of Redemption in ‘Goblin Market.’” Studies in English Literature. 50.4 (Autumn 2010): 853-75.
- “Conservation of Sympathy in Cranford.” Victorian Literature and Culture. 36.1 (March 2008): 95-110.
- “Buyer Beware: The Gift Poetics of Letitia Elizabeth Landon.” Nineteenth-Century Literature. 58: 4 (March 2004): 441-73.