Major in Russian (RUST)
This program is designed to produce an integrated knowledge of Russian language, literature, culture, history, politics, and society. This interdisciplinary major provides the broadest possible base for further study of Russia and the former Soviet Union.
In addition to satisfying the General Education and College of Arts and Sciences requirements, each major must complete the following:
- RUS 202 Intermediate Russian (4 Credit Hours)
- RUS 270 Introduction to Russian Culture (3 Credit Hours)
-OR- RUS 271 Russian and Soviet Culture of the 20th Century (3 Credit Hours)
Field of Concentration
Students must complete a total of 42 credit hours at the 200 level or above, with at least 24 hours at the 300 level or above, distributed as follows:
MAJOR CORE REQUIREMENTS
- HIS 385 History of Russia to 1825 (3 Credit Hours)
- HIS 386 History of Russia Since 1825 (3 Credit Hours)
- RUS 380 Survey of Nineteenth-Century Russian Literature (in English) (3 Credit Hours)
- RUS 381 Modern Russian Literature (in English) (3 Credit Hours)
- RUS 301 Russian Pronunciation and Conversation (3 Credit Hours)
- RUS 302 Russian Pronunciation and Conversation (3 Credit Hours)
- RUS 403 Advanced Russian Grammar (3 Credit Hours)
- RUS 404 Advanced Russian Grammar (3 Credit Hours)
- RUS 499 Russian Studies Capstone Seminar (3 Credit Hours)
Total Major Core Hours: 27
OTHER COURSE WORK REQUIRED FOR THE MAJOR
From Inside the Major Program
- Related electives: Choose from RUS 370, RUS 375, RUS 395, RUS 400G, RUS 460G, RUS 463, RUS 495, RUS 501, RUS 502, RUS 520, RUS 530) (6 Credit Hours)
From Outside the Major Program
- Choose nine hours at the 300+ level relating to Russian Studies, but not from the major program.
Total Other Hours: 15
Information is also available on the RUST Minor.
See our listing of current courses.
Other programs are also offered by the Division of Russian and Eastern Studies at the University of Kentucky.